Our client is a hospital affiliated with a major university’s Medical Faculty. The hospital’s Building Service has started working with a CAMM application (Computer Assisted Maintenance Management), but the inventory management module is not being used. The Building Service would like to initiate a pilot project (Plumbing Department) so parts can be entered into the CAMM application and their costs linked to work orders.
- Prepare a list of parts in the Plumbing Department
- Using the CAMM application, enter the parts and their
- costs in the work orders
- Improve the layout of the department
- Improve how parts are managed
- Implement the 5S philosophy and initiate changes: clean up, get rid of obsolete parts, identify parts
- Prepare a list of parts (to include over 800 items)
- Establish parts selection criteria to be managed
- with the CAMM application
- Establish the procedure to enter parts into the CAMM application
- Implement the Kanban purchasing systems to benefit from the advantages of pull system inventory management.
- Having a list of parts speeds up the parts order process (4 hrs/week at 30 min/week).
- Parts entered in the work orders helps find the exact cost of each work order.
- 1 store in 4 has been eliminated (120 sq. ft. of space saved) by applying the 5S philosophy.
- A cleaner, clearer layout is helping reduce the time used to look for parts.
- Involving the plumbers has increased their motivation and job satisfaction.
- Implementation of the Kanban system: fewer part shortages and elimination of unnecessary supply requisitions.